Mechanicsville, Virginia

Update by user Apr 29, 2011

This is obviously a problem, and the trend is evident with Activision\'s games. The company needs to man up and compensate their loyal customer instead of shaking them down for more $$$.

Original review posted by user Apr 24, 2011

Think twice before buying any games made by Activision!

We purchased an X-Box 360 for our sons on Christmas, along with a number of games, including Call of Duty: Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2, both made by Activision.

Last week, I noticed small cracks radiating from the center of the disks, making them unusable (see links below). As background, our sons have always taken care with their games, putting them back in the cases when finished and taking them out of the cases correctly. Since our first game system in 2004, a Sega Dreamcast, through a Nintendo Gamecube, a Wii, and now the X-Box 360, we had never experienced a disc with cracks like these. Now, four months after buying these games, and paying a premium for them, they can't be used. A number of other X-Box 360 games, made by other manufacturers and purchased at the same time as the cracked discs, are fine.

I suspect, although I have no way of verifying this, that the MW2 and COD disks are more brittle than they should be, and I've also noticed that the disc cases are a little rough on the inside of the disc when you snap it in place. This is not acceptable for a game that people pay $70 for.

As per Activision Customer Service: "Unfortunately we cannot replace any physically damaged discs without the $20 per disc replacement fee. The limited warranty on the disc is only 90 days, and will not cover cracks."

Yeah, it's unfortunate, unfortunate to me to have to pay for these discs again. I find it interesting that Activision is running a profit center that benefits from a potentially defective product.

I will probably spend the $40 for replacement, because my sons really miss the games, and because I have no other choice. If they were manufactured at a level of quality corresponding to their high prices, the games would still be working. Activision refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem. All I'm asking is that they exchange my discs at no cost, and look into the matter. I guess it's not cost-effective to listen to your customers, is it?

I will avoid Activision in the future when I can.

Review about: Call Of Duty.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Activision?

Comments

Mike

Dave,

I dealt directly with Activision, and I have no reason to believe that Micro$oft is involved. If you are going to post sarcastic comments, at least provide a reference.

Mike

Dave

The XBOX discs are manufactured by Microsoft, not Activision. Activision and other games companies just put their data on the discs that are made and owned by Microsoft, wouldn't your genius pissedness be better directed at the correct people???

Or maybe you know everything already.